My Bridesmaid's Speech.


Salaam and Hello all :) On my Instagram stories, I made a poll and asked you, my Followers, if you wanted to read my Bridesmaid's Speech, as it's my sister's 1st wedding anniversary! You voted that you did want to read it. So here it is! 

I was really nervous by the way, all 700 pairs of eyes on me, I was on stage in a heavy Indian dress, full face of make-up, cameras (phones and the professional wedding photographer) on me, my anxiety was kicking in and my legs were trembling. My hand was sweaty holding the mic, looking at my audience. They were waiting for me. I was watching them. 

I asked my cousin "Shall I start?!" 

She replied with a firm "Yes", which was the push I needed to begin. 

"Assalamu-alaikum everyone.

When my sister got engaged, naturally I assumed the role of Wedding Planner being the only other sister. After all, it involved girly trips to Bridal Shops, getting creative, organising a party and making sure everything was colour-coordinated; this role was practically made for me! It’s really lovely to see all the planning and organising come together, and I’d like to thank all of our guests for being with us here today.  *Smile* 

There have been mixed emotions. There was joy. I thought ‘YES! I finally have my own bedroom!” And there was also a little sadness. After 20 odd years, there was one less person to make the chapattis with. I’d always predicted my sister would marry up North; and I was right.

As children, my sister was a brilliant role model. She was kind, my guide and very protective. We’ve shared friends, we’ve been to the same schools, colleges, and universities, but, this is the first time we’ll be apart, and it feels odd for me because I don’t know what it’s going to be like without you. It’ll feel strange waking up and not seeing you there first thing in the morning, or coming back from work and not having a good ol’ catch up over tea!

Now that your path is leading you somewhere else, I’m glad you’ve found your Someone Special. Not only do you look great together, I know he’s your perfect match because it’s little things like your shared sense of humour and quiet confidence, and hatred of cameras and posing (!) which make you complement one another so well.

To have found someone you want to spend the rest of your life with is a very beautiful thing.

I’d like to say thank you to you appa, for all the times you hugged me, told me off when I was misbehaving and held my hand, through good times and bad.

As you complete half of your deen with Bhai, I pray Allah always keeps you happy and blessed. 

Ameen.

We hope you enjoy the wedding, and now my brother would like to say something."

Phew! I am glad I did it! Halfway through, I did start trembling, and nearly broke down in tears, but my cousin held my hand and I held it together to finish the speech. I had so many people come up and say that it was really emotional, that it was a touching speech, and that I made them cry :P 

This meant a huge deal to me, as someone who normally does her polite 'Salaams', 'Hello how are you?s' to relatives and then avoids The Wedding Stage at all costs, as I don't really like being faced with all the attention. 

But there it is! If you liked my speech, do leave me a comment below :) 

See you next time, 

Shai :) 

appa means 'Sister'.

Bhai means 'Brother.'

deen means 'Faith'. Muslims believe that getting married is half of their Faith. 

ameen means 'Amen', or 'May God accept.'

Assalamu-alaikum means 'Peace and Blessings upon You.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Define Story

How to have a Harry Potter themed birthday.

Panto Review: De Montfort Hall's Beauty and the Beast.