Simply Self Compassion: Six ways to take care of yourself during Lockdown.

heart drawn on sand during daytime

Hello everyone. How are you doing? I hope you're well, but it is totally understandable if you're not well either. Know that it's okay to not be okay during this testing time.

Some people are rightly taking advantage of the time and pursuing new hobbies or taking online courses, and then there's going to be times when we just feel like having a cry about when (if) we will see certain loved ones again. That's the reality. We're all bound to ride the 'emotion' wave. God knows I've been riding the emotion wave and trying to keep my surfboard well and truly balanced! So in this post, I've brought to you six ways you can keep going :)

1. Get creative.

red petaled flower painting

Simply grab a pencil and doodle on paper. If you're artistic, reach for the stars and go crazy with collages and paints! Research suggests that creative activity increases the production of dopamine, the hormone which creates pleasure in you :)

2. Meditate and Mindfulness.

man sitting on gray dock

By switching off music, or the t.v (and avoiding taking in too much news) and connecting with natural sounds like birds tweeting, you are allowing your brain to tune into the present moment. Since mindfulness allows you to be aware of your thoughts, you are more likely to think rationally. Apps like Calm and Headspace are great for this :)

3. Smile.


low-angle photo of pink and orange balloons

It makes you feel better instantly because we associate smiling with being content, satisfied and in control.


4. Healthy eating.

person holding black bowl

Working at a school means I have set times when I eat, and will snack mostly on fruit. However, I've started binge-eating because that's what I do when I'm bored. I have never eaten so much junk or ordered in desserts before! So, eating fruit and regular healthy meals is something I have to make a conscious effort to do. That, and drinking water to keep hydrated!



5. Pamper yourself.

The Body Shop Camomile cleansing oil

This doesn't have to be a full on spa session. Just little treats go such a long way. Grab some hand cream and moisturise, or else give yourself a foot soak in hot water. This will relieve so much stress and allow you to reconnect and re balance with yourself.

6. Kind self-talk. 

gray concrete block

Practice positive self-talk. "I am proud of myself today because..." That you have done the best that you can do today with the energy, resources and mental capacity you had. For me, I used to want to take all my own photographs for my posts, but there's lots of better stock photos I can use, so why not if it makes life easier for me? :)

 I've learnt the art of self-compassion, and am still learning. I'm going to 'listen' to what I need, and then give myself that. That a Cup of Shai is overflowing before I pour for other people. That I'm going to nourish myself, so especially during this time, I can have the strength I need to keep going.

I completely understand that we are all different and that it would be silly of me to think that we all have the same living setup. However, these are really do-able self-care tips, so please take care of yourself.

Till next time, stay smiling and stay home.

Shai
x

All images courtesy of Unsplash.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Define Story

How to have a Harry Potter themed birthday.

Panto Review: De Montfort Hall's Beauty and the Beast.