Sun, Sea and Samosas. Nostalgia at Skeggy :)



No matter how old you are, everyone turns into a child at Skeggy. Are you even British if you haven't spent whiling away your Summers at the famous beach? This past weekend, it was my turn to become a child when my Mum said "Right! We're off to Skeggy this weekend!" And off we went about, chucking everything from sunglasses to sun-tan lotion into our bags, making sure we'd be well prepared for the heat. 

Despite the fact that we didn't have another two/three families coming along with us like we did 20-odd years ago, (who can forget the cold samosas, and sand-swept bhajis on the beach?), it was funny that my Mum still kept up the tradition of packing Indian snacks and taking a thermos of brewed tea to drink. I'm surprised she didn't add the famous masala (spicesto it!

Obviously, we spent a good 15 minutes trawling along in the car park, because what would a trip to Skeggy be without that?? I can't really remember Skeggy from my childhood days, apart from the donkey rides which I insisted on having. All I remember was the furry coat brushing my legs and wobbling up and down a short stretch of sand before the guide would give the donkey a short slap on the butt, to get it moving again. You'll be glad to know I didn't sit on any donkeys at this age, but mustered up the guts to sit on this log flume. Don't laugh okay?! This meant a great deal to me :P Two minutes and some screaming later, I can say that I'd sat on the 'Wild River.' 


At this time of year, everyone jets off abroad, but I think it wouldn't be a British summer without having been to Skeggy. It's definitely a treat for the senses. The tempting waft of freshly fried fish and chips, the sweetness of the ice-cream and just-cooked donuts. The screaming of children on the rides, echoing in the salty air, the sparkling of the foil fans spinning in the sunlight. Chunks of glittering coconut ice and brightly rock sweets. 

And adult sweets sat among the humbugs, the arcades bleeping away with the donkey bells.
I remember as a child having lots of fun playing on the 2p machines though! Arcades are very much a part of seaside culture, and it didn't turn me into some gambling addict. I question this as an adult though. Some people would think adult sweets are just a part of British seaside culture, and others would say it's quite distasteful having adult attractions such as Amusements as part of the scene because it promotes the idea of gambling. 

Do you think children should be exposed to adult themes at seasides? Leave a comment below! :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Define Story

How to have a Harry Potter themed birthday.

25 Things I am Grateful for Recently :)