20 ways to comfort an upset child. From :'( to :-D
|My neice and I|
Mini-humans are some of the most amazing, intelligent and funny things to walk this planet. And then sometimes they throw a tantrum and start crying “because the ice-cream finished!!” No, they do not have in-built ‘Turn to Happy Mode’ button, so here is a list I’ve made from my Teaching and Aunty-ing experiences on ways to calm a child.
- Ask them if they’d like a cuddle. “Would you like a hug?” Then respond accordingly. Let the child hug you, so they can take their time when they’re ready. *hug. Pat pat pat “awwww, there there...”*
- Hold their hand and give it a little squeeze.
- Stroke their face.
- Wipe their tears away. “Don’t spoil this pretty/handsome face with these tears.”
- Take them for a little walk and tell them how amazing they are.
- Let them calm down, and then proceed to ask what has upset them
- Clear instructions: “I would like you to wash your face and have a drink of water.”
- “Would you like a chat? Tell me why you’re crying.”
- “Do you need some calming time/your comfort blanket?
- “...Beta/ Bachoo” (Urdu/Gujrati term for 'child/little one.')
- Crack a really dumb joke. “Oh my goddness! There’re rivers coming out of your eyes!
- Say something funny. “ *whisper* I can see some boogers coming out of your nose!”
- Rub their back.
- Distraction always works a treat. Show them something interesting out of the window and strike up a conversation about it.
- use a puppet as a mediator between yourself and the child. Children treat puppets like real children.
- Read them a story for them to get lost in a happy world.
- Chide the thing they hurt themselves on. “Silly table! How dare you bump into *enter name of child*...tables these days!! No respect for children!”
- . Pull funny faces. Children find it really amusing that an adult is being comedic with them!
- Get down with the kids. If they’re whining, talk just like them. They’ll realise how annoying it sounds.
- “Go and show your plaster to all your friends. Look how brave you are! You’re like a hero in a film!
Till my next post, keep smiling :)