Leicester Vegan Festival Experience| Throwback Post

On the 23rd of March, The Athena on Queen's Street played host to a Vegan Festival. Situated in the Cultural Quarter, just opposite The Curve, it was a hotspot for any vegan enthusiast, (or if you even just fancied having something to do on an otherwise eventless weekend.)

I was actually on a Hen Weekend with my friends, and we went to this as we found out about it! Why not hey? I'm not vegan myself, but being careful to buy cosmetic products which are against animal testing, I knew that this would be a common value at the fair.


What is Veganism?
So firstly, I needed to get this clear so I could put the festival in context! So Veganism is basically avoiding using all animals, insects included for any purpose. That's the most simple way I can explain it. I knew that Vegans were Vegetarians, but also found out that it's a wider, lifestyle choice. For example, Vegans may avoid visiting the zoo or circus as animals are exploited in the process.

Related off-topic news: I am so glad using wild animals in circuses has now been banned. I was surprised that in 2019 they (were) still allowed to, considering all the campaigning that occurs. Although domestic animals such as horses and donkeys can be used, it's still a step in the right direction!
Walking into the main theatre of The Athena, I was blown away by the variety of products on offer. I was expecting a whole range of food stalls, (and I kid you not, it didn't disappoint), but additionally, there was clothing, accessories, skincare, makeup, body care and even home fragrances. I had no idea how far the vegan range expanded!

Take these these coals that you have to burn in a candle holder  for example. I was particularly fond of the Turkish Oud smell because it reminds me of Eid mornings with my family :) 

Apart from drooling over the scrumptious cakes, (check these out!!), skincare and makeup is what I was largely drawn to.




The main ingredients in these lipsticks is vegan, and the packaging is also biodegradable which means that the principle of Veganism extends further than the consumption. It's about the aftermath too.
These serums are by a company called 'Elixir by Saarah', and contains real gold along with pomegranate seed oil and frankincense oil to help moisturise and nourish your skin. I was actually attracted to the stall because of how cool the little rose buds looked in the bottles. If you'd like to read more about these products, here's the link: Elixir by Saarah
However, I was confused by one stall (which I won't name and shame) and I also won't disclose any information as to what they were selling, but when I asked the lady where they sourced their products from, she was being really secretive! Surely the whole point of this festival was to actually advertise where you sourced your vegan-friendly from?!

Talking of buying, there was one thing which made me think deeper. It was all well and good that these animal-free products were being made by companies also working alongside a charity at the same time. But I noticed that so MANY of these companies also charged a hefty amount for their products. Why? Was it in my head that the vegan products were so expensive? I paid £8 for a plate of hot Indian snacks which was most definitely a rip-off.

I checked the PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) website, which confirmed that my suspicions were indeed correct! Vegan food is more expensive than non-Vegan food. Which then raises the question: How can people afford to be vegan if they don't have much money? And then does that mean only wealthier people can afford to make ethical consuming choices?

Overall, the event was a great one if you wanted to browse around and have something to do at the weekend. There definitely needed to be more elements of teaching and interactive activities. The live demos I think worked the best because it teaches people that independence with cooking as opposed to saying 'Here buy some of my Vegan cake.' 

What are your thoughts on Veganism? If you have any special dietary requirements, what is your experience of choosing that lifestyle? Like, Share and Comment below!

Shai
xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Define Story

How to have a Harry Potter themed birthday.

Harry Potter and Social Re-birth: Resurrection and Redemption part 1